Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Human Inspiration....



I have become an avid fan of the new BBC One documentary - Human Planet to the extent that Thursday nights are now my night infront of the TV and nothing will persuade me otherwise! I have always loved watching programs about the natural world however I have found myself re-watching these episodes on i-player, perhaps because for a change this series is treating the human race as any other curious species clinging to survival.

In the first episode the jaw dropping scenes of fisherman diving to depths of 40m relying on long plastic tubes hooked to very rickety boats for air in order to catch their food was difficult viewing especially when watching them struggle with the bends. There were awe inspiring scenes in the second episode of the Tubu Tribe ladies trekking across the Sahara Desert with their camels for days in order to reach the market to buy their food. Oh and not forgetting on the way they must find the only well in 80km for water. 'Miss it and they die.' And then heart stopping scenes in the third episode of the Inuit's digging through the ice, waiting for their 30 minute opportunity while the tide was out to go under and pick the mussels on the sea bed, all the while keeping an eye on the tide very quickly reappearing and making sure they were not trapped, had me hiding behind my cushion!

As well as acts of inspirational bravery, there are astonishing stories of adaptation. This series has definitely put into perspective how lucky my life is, within 10 steps I can be at my kitchen tap or water cooler, if I run out of milk I can nip to the corner shop and if I fancy fish for dinner I'll go to the supermarket. Amazing and inspirational human stories from around the globe.

2 comments:

  1. It really does put what we do into context doesn't it - and very humbling at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the one about those hidden human poulations that live in the rainforest, and it showed them building this fantastic treehouse out of the raw materials they had gathered in the forest. They were so happy, so sincere, so helpful and uncomplicated, yet they had no luxuries whatsoever. Very thought provoking and moving.

    ReplyDelete