Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 24 February 2011

Musically baffled

My Creative Director has taken it upon himself to educate me in music. He dislikes my musical taste.

On my musical journey I've discovered how some songwriters must of had writers block during the creative process and subsequently packed out the song with yeah’s, na’s, woo’s and doo’s to fill in the gaps. Or they just repeat themselves over and over again.

For example, ‘Strangers in the Night’, Frank Sinatra. I’m listening to a beautiful tale of two wondering strangers falling in love and then suddenly Sinatra goes off on one and works himself into a dooby-dooby-doo frenzy. Confused!

Another example is ‘Na na na’, Cozy Powell. Twenty whole seconds of na na na’s before the lyrics kick in. They even titled the song na na na. It’s completely meaningless.

‘Lovely Day’, Bill Withers. How many times does he want to tell us it’s a lovely day? We get it Bill; it’s a lovely day.

Now let’s quickly move on to the Princesses of vocal athletics, namely Christina and Mariah. Yes girls, you’re vocal range is astounding, but understand less is more. More lyrics, less yeah’s and ooh’s please…

3 comments:

  1. Well when it comes to musical taste isn't it great that we all enjoy different things. Dave loves the Beach Boys and I really tried to get into Pet Sounds - their Sgt Pepper's according to all the critics. I tried but I really couldn't no matter how many times I listened. The Beach Boys are great as a singles band and their best ones have plenty of repetition - Good Vibrations, Barbara Ann etc - but i can't get beyond that. My taste varies depending on where I am, what day of the week it is and who I'm with. So Sunday mornings I love a blast of classical - and not a doowop or na na in sight. In the fast lane of the M25 it has to be the Boss who can really tell a story or build a great anthem. And late at night after a few glasses of wine it might just be Leonard Cohen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Jo, I agree with you re Pet Sounds. All their other material is so brilliant: Good Vibrations, Californian Girls, Do It Again, the list goes on. But according to the pseudo-muso journalists, Pet Sounds is one of the most pronounced and significant musical statements ever made. Completely disagree. The Beach Boys were as good as the Beatles as playing any kind of music ...brilliantly. Listen to "It's About Time". It's one of the best rockers I have ever heard!
    When-ever the family and i went on a summer holiday in the car, Highway Star by Deep purple at full blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Leonard. 'I'm your man' is one of my favourite songs.

    ReplyDelete