Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Monday 29 November 2010

Radio 4 - Today

If I was asked to recommend a primer for young wannabe account handlers entering our industry I'd say listen to Today on Radio 4. Forget breakfast TV and Chris Moyles. A quick blast of Today on your way to work or while you're having your breakfast. For those who have it at home before they get to work that is - now that's a whole new blog in it's own right. But to digress a moment when did people stop having breakfast at home and start eating cereal and toast in their offices? At Woodreed we've a whole Sainsbury's fixture of breakfast cereals, bread, muffins, jams, spreads.... When did this trend begin and why? Why do people prefer to eat at work than in the comfort of their own home? My preference is for Chris Evans and cereal at home, John Humphreys and Today in the car on the way to work or client meetings. Perfect.

Back to topic... a quick blast of Today a few times a week will give you the opinions, the general knowledge, the wider awareness of current and past affairs and enough of an insight into such a breadth of topics that you'll be able to hold your own in any client meeting or social situation. You'll absorb it all without even trying and it will give you a whole stack of useful stuff which you can draw on in any number of situations.

One of my favourites a couple of weeks ago was an interview with designer Karl Lagerfeld, creative director for Chanel, talking about how designers usually took more risks during challenging periods.

"Very often in difficult times fashion is more interesting than in times when everything is too cool, too safe, in a bad moment change is the best thing that can happen."

It was a fascinating piece but the bit I really noted was when he said he had no plans to retire, saying he was continuing to come up with new ideas and made this lovely point...

"The brain is a muscle and you have to work out," he said. "The French say you get hungry when you are eating, and you get ideas when you are thinking."

Inspirational.

6 comments:

  1. Radio 4's Today programme how I love thee, let me count the ways. I genuinely learn something new every day. This morning's delights were, amongst others, migrating birds over Israel and the relaunch of the Oxford English Dictionary online. Marvellous.
    Re breakfast, sleep is probably the answer. Before kids, I NEVER ate breakfast at home before work as sleep was wildly more important than the pleasure of sitting in my own kitchen eating my breakfast. In fact I've never worked in any ad agency where breakfast wasn't routinely eaten at the desk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like eating breakfast at work - on those days when a bacon sarnie is not on the menu.
    I'm a fan of shredded wheat and yoghurt, whilst reading bbc news online, and generally spending the 10 mins munching time catching up on stuff before work starts in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I think Charlotte is right it is about time, but I wonder if it's also the gradual evolution from tail-end baby boomers, to generation x to generation y?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 things:
    1.Breakfasts should be eaten together at home
    2.Sometimes when I listen to Radio 4 The Today Programme, I get so cross hearing politicians and eminent mischief makers squirming and not actually answering the questions asked of them.
    3.Give me Classic FM anyday; If everyone listened to it there wouldn't be any road rage.
    4. Karl Lagerfield not retiring.........there's hope for me yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat breakfast at work because I can't eat anything before 9am. My stomach just won't take it.

    I understand why some would not approve of breakfast at the desk. Greasy food and crumbs means a dirty keyboard and a smelly office. I'm a bit of a hygiene freak so I regularly polish all surfaces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband worked in an office one with some delightful ladies whose penchant for KFC and digestives meant they ended up with mice

    ReplyDelete