Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 4 November 2010

Having a little bit of it all

I read in Campaign this week about how hard it continues to be for women to combine a career in our industry and have kids. I felt cross and let down by our industry for not doing enough about it (I wonder how far we've come since Mad Men).. It then made me grateful for how lucky I am to be able to combine a career I love with raising my children I adore.

This is mostly down to 2 things, well not things, ladies actually - a brilliant mother who’s there to pick up the slack when needed and a brilliant boss whose belief in working mothers (she’s one herself) means she goes out of her way to make the work/life balance possible for her staff who have kids.

I think that being able to enjoy a career without the guilt that I shortchange my kids (I don’t – I work part time around them) is wonderful and makes me come over all Spice Girl (I am not going to suggest which one) with a big girl power salute at how us ladies (my friends and my fellow mama colleagues) find creative ways of combining work and mothering. That being said I have had some funny moments when work and mothering are just a tad too cozy: house at full noisy pelt, supper overdoing in the oven, 4 year old son in major protest mode clinging to my foot like an angry blond fluffy haired slipper, fielding questions from my 6 year old girl about the history of the British monarchy (watches too much ‘Horrible Histories’ on CBBC if you ask me) while sending emails of great strategic importance to clients. Would I change it? No way and here's why.

It's about...
  • Still having my own bank account ( I was shocked to learn some of my married stay at home friends only have joint accounts)
  • Relating to point one, being able to spend a ridiculous amount on a pair of shoes without needing to justify it to anyone, (ie husband who thinks shoes should be bought on a needs not wants basis, oh so very wrong)
  • When we’re at a dinner party or other such social event, being able to talk about what I do for work.
  • Work banter – couldn't be without it. (still chuckling at the account handling team's elegant simile to describe the new layout of mine and Jo's office)
  • Men! The world of the stay at home mama is a frightfully lady-based land. Don’t get me wrong, I love my girlfriends, but I also like hanging with the chaps too.
  • The fact that having to think for a living just about keeps my brain this side of mush.
  • Getting dressed up. Only the really super yummy mummies look hot 24/7. Coming to work gives me the perfect excuse to put on the heels, makeup and a dress 2 days a week
  • Because it proves that women can go a little way to having it all (although of course this will never really be totally possible)
  • Setting a positive role model for my daughter that woman can have careers just as much as men. My daughter’s current career aspirations are as follows: Scientists / pop star during the week, Magician on Saturday, Sunday off. You go girl!

3 comments:

  1. As long as there's time to make a cup of tea lass.

    Seriiously, you seem to have your life balance nailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo Johnson said that women should only ever have a need for two handbags; anything more is contributing to global warming and ecological collapse. I wonder what his view is about how many shoes a woman needs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The IPA have just published an interesting report on this called 'The future of work'. It cites research which shows a clear link between work/life balance and performance and productivity. Good stuff. Yet, in last 10 years the % of women in the boardrooms of adland has dropped from 23% to 18%.

    ReplyDelete