Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Wednesday 24 November 2010

A lost art


This is going to make me feel and sound a lot older than I am. But, I think the majority of people have forgotten, or if you are younger, never been taught how to write a letter. Correctly. Where to pop your name, your address, the recipients name and address - and heavens above, how to sign it off! Now it's all Best Regards and the likes....what happened to faithfully and sincerely?
The reason I bring this up now is that I received a letter today from a chap who was keen to get into 'advertising' Nothing too odd there, but it was the style and content of this letter that left me feeling rather let down. When I was trying to get my first job, and on direction was asked to write in I made sure it was eye-catching, relevant and left them wanting to at least invite me in.
I think nowadays, people have become lazier (symptomatic of the advances in technology) and because everything is available (and expected) instantly less time and thought goes into some very important communications.
I'm glad I don't have to worry about ruler widths and blotting paper, but no matter what you write, it has got to have had some thought go into it - otherwise, it'll invariably disappear into my waste bin, as quickly as it arrived.

3 comments:

  1. oooh I couldn't agree more. Why doesn't anyone post CVs any more? I remember getting an art director friend of mine to do me a proper logo for my name and a beautiful header and everything when I was trying to get into advertising. Also I made sure every word and sentence was perfect with no spelling errors (but that's another blog post altogether!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree - I've even received email applications going to great lengths to say why the applicant would be an asset to WFCA. My response was to suggest they approached them in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know what, you might find this hard to believe but when I write with my fountain pen (cost £375 for my 50th) actually makes me want to write better! No delete buttons, no spell checks, just your own pure, grammatical and literal skills. if everyone had to write a letter by hand they would understand that writing is an art as well as an expression of thought.

    ReplyDelete