Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 30 September 2010

The old man and the sea

To cut a long story short I had a restless weekend and found myself bored by everything around me. I desperately needed stimulating.

I took a stroll into town and went into Waterstones. By accident my eyes fixed on the author, ‘Ernest Hemingway’. I’ve never read his work, but I understand that he is one of the most respected writers. I selected one of his books, ‘The old man and the sea’ and decided that I was going to buy it without reading the synopsis on the back. I didn’t want to be discouraged in anyway from his writing.

I took the book home and spent the next two hours reading it.

The book captured my imagination, which to be honest surprised me because although the book is described rather poetically as, “an epic battle of wills between an old, experienced fisherman and a giant marlin said to be the largest catch of his life”, cut short, by little old me, it’s about fishing.

I have no interest in fishing whatsoever; I’m clueless about the entire subject. However, the book was so descriptive and engaging that I found myself excited and openly deliberating in front of my bewildered boyfriend, whether this old man would triumph over the fish!

Isn’t it incredible the power that words have on us, even when we find the subject a little dull? Words can manipulate your mind, take you into another world and often in my case, reduce you to tears!

2 comments:

  1. Read my first Hemingway this year too - For whom the bell tolls. Wonderful stuff. I'll do you a swap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's going to organize the Woodreed Bookclub then?

    ReplyDelete