Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 23 September 2010



Madmen – probably the best television show in the world

The 4th series of madmen has started and, as usual I am already hooked.

This blog is a blatant plug for what is, in my opinion, one of the best television series ever made. How lucky am I? Not only is it the best show ever (have I said that enough yet?) but it is also about the industry I love so much.

For the uninitiated (and not to watch it means you are either mad, man, without a TV or have a social life to rival Paris Hilton thus are not in on a Wednesday night.), Madmen follows the lives and loves of the men and women of Madison Avenue ad land in the 1960’s. The characterisation is beyond perfect, the script from heaven and the attention to detail unparalleled. For example, if they are shooting a scene on a particular day, thanksgiving for example, they look back at historical weather data and dress the characters accordingly. They even make sure they have the right sort of ice cubes for the whiskey that is seemingly drunk from morning to night along with the cigarettes that punctuate every waking moment of their lives (aah for the return of guilt free smoking). It deals with all the major issues of its day – politics, racism, homophobia, sexism at work, unwanted pregnancy, all with such aplomb it makes me go quite giddy just reflecting on it now. It's even had the power to reignite the 'size 0' debate.

It has the ability to make you laugh (for fans – remember when the account exec ran over the client’s foot with a John Deer tractor at the office party?) and cry (See Don’s beautiful ‘carousel’ pitch?). I implore you to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suRDUFpsHus

Despite having moved on somewhat in agency lala land since then (although I have definitely indulged in some all night parting which included passing out in the agency at some point in my sometimes not so distinguished career, although stopping short of severing the limbs’ of clients!), the day to day highs and lows, the tensions between suits and creatives, the clients you adore, and those you don’t, the agency personnel’s love of a drink remain constant.

Finally, I love it because it reminds me of why I love my industry so much and how lucky I was to have stumbled upon it in the first place. I am inspired nearly every day by what we do. How lucky I am to have a job that I actually love to do.

oooh, PS, I have just found joy of joys a Mad Men blog. Check out http://www.lippsisters.com/

3 comments:

  1. My God, that Carousel scene was not only a brilliant bit of acting, but also writing as well. So moving. As you say, we are involved in such a fantastic industry, where we actually effect consumers emotions in such a poignant way. Love it and will be watching it again....and again...and again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't visit the blog you've found - it reveals future storylines..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten how brilliant the carousel pitch was - and in view of where he is now, well, made me cry! He does have a magic voice doesn't he - Dave can you start doing creative pitches with a voice like that please!

    ReplyDelete