Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 1 March 2012

Raspberry Pi

Yesterday was the launch of Raspberry Pi. Now, when I first heard about this new computer a couple of months ago I was a little sceptical, maybe it was down to my extremely non technical dad always getting blackberrys and apples muddled up with raspberrys (the phones i'm referring to here,) but I may now have been converted. And that's all down to a radio interview with a 14 year old boy who has been completed inspired by this £22 computer. For those that may not have heard of it, the Raspberry Pi is credit card size, and is intended to inspire a new generation of schoolchildren to learn to program. Raspberry Pi is a charitable foundation set up by an engineer who found it worrying how many people didn't see seem to know what a computer really was or how it worked. When I asked myself that question - I know what a computer is but I really wouldn't know how it works. Perhaps I need to invest in one.
Many suggest we are moving into a world that will eventually be controlled by computers so to be able to control a few of those computers ourselves may be very beneficial indeed! This may even be the catalysit the UK needs to regenerise the British computing industry. I'll be watching Raspberry Pi's journey with interest.

3 comments:

  1. I've been following this story for a while and think it's a great idea. IT in schools is dull as dishwater. But learn to programme and it opens a whole new world of creativity which we so need. Wonderful initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmm, I agree that children should be introduced to the fundamentals of computers (i.e. how they work and not just the raft of games they seem so obsessed with) however I think I'd be much more excited at the launch of some new outdoor game to get them back out in the garden and parks....it's an ongoing battle with the children of today to get them off the sofa and away from the huge choice of electronic entertainment gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why flipflop I agree!
    There's has to be balance between digital and organic and tactile pursuits. i was in a park in London a couple of weekends ago and I almost wept when I saw these groups of children playing different games, the older ones playing football and the younger just literally skipping around. There was communication, there was interaction and there was fun.

    ReplyDelete