Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

DON-8r

Do you ever find yourself crossing the road, rumaging in your hand bag or pretending you are talking on the phone in order to avoid that on-the-street charity worker shaking their collection box at you for a donation? We all do it!

Well a 21 year old student from Dundee has invented DON-8r - a rather cute little robot collection box who is powered by the donation you put into him!

There are the obvious downfalls to our little friend of children just filling him with penny's as they make him waddle about, and his little frame, i'm sure people could pick him up and walk away with said donations in tact however - what a fabulous little scheme. I know my usual negetive response to collection boxes was suddenly transformed into playful curiosity when I was approached by DON-8r. I don't think you will ever be able to completely replace charity workers as i'm sure he will need a minder but what a wonderful idea!

Check out DON-8r in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Db5n2ZN7A&feature=player_embedded

Photos have been downloaded from http://timpryde.com

3 comments:

  1. So in essence it's a mobile piggy bank???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not for me I'm afraid.

    I think it is hugely impersonal and giving my my money to a charity machine wouldn't feel right.

    But maybe in this so called marvelous digital age, this is where it's going.

    I went a garden fete last Saturday. As I was walking around I came across a blind guy with his beautiful guide dog in front of him with a Guide Dogs for the Blind banner behind him.. It was so touching to see how my money would actually benefit his disability. Wallet was straight out and a meaningful conversation took place.

    The thought of having a mechanized dog barking at me and taking my money is just not right. But lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete