Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 6 January 2011

I prefer reading and feeling books.


I felt very sad and disappointed that The Amazon Kindle 3 was the second most successful 2010 Christmas present, a fact that I could scarcely believe given that newspapers and magazine publications are still as popular as they were before the digital revolution.
Personally speaking, actually getting hold of book in whatever form, celebrating it's textures and weights, is as exciting as the contents itself.
I recently acquired a second hand edition of "The Oxford Book of English Verse" published and printed in 1931.
1300 pages of beautifully written literature but embedded in a gorgeously produced hard backed book. Do you know what? The pure tactile indulgence I experienced when I touched and felt this object induced me to read poetic verse to my creative partner.
It wouldn't been the same if I'd suddenly got my newly acquired Kindle out and have to search for the relevant author, age, publishers name etc to find it. By the time I'd got it up on my screen she would have gone and made herself a cup of PG Tips!
Kindle? A Kon surely?

2 comments:

  1. a waterproof one for the bath would be a good idea though.
    agree that real books are beautiful but sadly i can see a time in the not too distant future where paper books are no longer printed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a chance to touch a Kindle at Christmas - and you know it too is surprisingly tactile. It is mono too which suprised me, but the illustrations are stunning. They resemble old-fashioned lithographic prints. So in its own, yet different way, it is an attractive and appealing item.

    ReplyDelete