Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Friday 28 January 2011

And you want to be paid?


Just need to have a rant, and I will be fine again...
I still find it extraordinary how some customers (me) are treated.
I called up a company to come and fix an aerial point to our house - 30mins after their agreed calling time, I rang to find out where they were - I got the usual fob offs, and he turned up another 25 mins late - no apology - just blamed someone else. Cost of service £100
In a cab, the driver took the totally wrong route, was speaking to his mate on the mobile and had the heating on sub-arctic, the dared charge me £14 for what should be a £4 fare. Cost of taxi (negotiated) £8
In Boots waiting to pick up some photographs on the hour service. I return after 55mins to be told they haven't put them in and can I come back an hour later still! Cost of prints £8.50.
The sheer gall, and ever increasing blatant disregard to customer service is something that Mr Harry Gordon Selfridge Snr esq would be turning in his grave over. It is little wonder that people are trying to spend less - not so much because of the economy, but down to the fact punters are becoming less satisfied with the service they receive. But this does play into the hands of those who offer a premium service - word of mouth, increased and loyal custom - happy days.
We call it the Service Profit Chain - or if you like, doing business the correct way!

7 comments:

  1. Rant over? I think you've been taken over by Mary Portas Simon. But I do agree. I never fail to be surprised by how often you can walk into a small, independent shop like many of those in the Pantiles and the one and only sales person doesn't even lift their head to acknowledge you - even if you are the only customer in the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a issue to do with a lack of basic respect..you see it everywhere from the 'illiterati' in garages, supermarket retailers etc..not to mention those b*&**y call centre degenerates that are so conditioned by their scripts they can't imagine their companies (AVIVA) not having educated the whole of the UK about what we should say when someone 'breaks from conditioning'. I'll call you with some wonderful examples about Jaguar, Aviva, British Gas......etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Aviva one....(Couple of years ago

    AV ring ring...Good morning, my name is XXX, how can I help you today?

    ME I'd like to make a complaint please'

    AV I'm afraid you can't at the moment"

    ME Why, is there no-one there from Customer Service?

    AV Yes, but you'll have to ring back later

    ME Who should I talk to later?

    AV You can ring back later and talk to me

    (stunned silence)

    ME Why can't I talk to you now?

    AV Because I'm being managed on my call handling times this morning!!

    Needless to say, one customer lost and lots more told about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having just applied an ice-pack to my jaw, after it hit the desk with such great force after reading your 'call dialogue', it is still staggering how the common sense gene seems to be missing in basic job specs, and their owners!
    Too much conditioning can also be a bad thing, especially in the retail world. I heard that in one chain of supermarkets the checkout staff were being encouraged to say it how it was - so if it was raining, none of the over-enthusiastic '..have a nice day nows'...what a refreshing change...

    ReplyDelete
  5. who klawrence? Pothole destroyed tyre yesterday! Called AA, first point of contact 110%. AA man brilliant and arrived well within advised time. Follow up call today today to ask my views on service received! Such good service!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, klawrence aka Kevin Lawrence - runs Odyssey, a great training company we once did some work for way back when. Welcome to our blog Kevin - hope you're enjoying it and thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hawkhurst Bakery last Saturday circa 11.00am.
    DW: "Could I have a French stick please?"
    BAKER: "Run out of 'em".

    ReplyDelete