Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Monday 3 October 2011

The X Factor bug

Every year I tell myself, “I will not be watching the X Factor this year.” I say this to myself because every year I get sick of watching desperate people embarrass themselves, the judges contriving situations where they reject and then call back people leaving them emotional wrecks, and the insane that walk off stage unknowingly humiliated.

But every year I get sucked back into it. I want to blame the people around me who go on and on about the contestants, teasing me about the good and the bad performances, some even having X Factor parties. So in the end when I’m worn down I say to myself, “If you can’t beat them, join them.”

So I found myself watching the X Factor last weekend, one again startled by the ridiculousness of it all. I listened to contestants telling the cameras that they’re fed up of being a nobody and this opportunity will make them a somebody. It left be wondering, “What is the world coming to when people believe that celebrity status is their only salvation? What’s so wrong with building a career away from the cameras?”

The X Factor manages to create debate every year and surprise you with something unexpected. It also has a way of bringing you together with family, friends and colleagues because of its popularity and entertainment value. So as much as I want to pull my hair out sometimes watching it, combined with feeling disappointed for not watching something credible, I need to give myself a break. It’s not that bad, is it?





6 comments:

  1. I totally relate to that. It sums up all that is wrong with our culture today - money, status and fame obsessed. Have you noticed, hardly one of them has a job, all just waiting around to get riches and fame as quickly as they can via a telly show. I couldn't bear it when that girl said she was a no-body and was desperate to become a somebody. Such a terrible message for impressionable little people (ie my 7 year old girl) to hear. There was also a boy who, arriving at one of the judges' houses was looking around just going 'i want this I want this' not I want to make great music and entertain people, it was I just want fame and stuff. Needless to say I shall watch every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I much prefer "Strictly Come Dancing". It is what it is.

    Those contestants, even though they enjoy b status fame can only win by working, training, being fit and being part of a relentless fitness regime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not strictly true David. The lovely Anne Widdecombe made it further in the competition than most and it wasn't down to her fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Token lampoon celebrity my dear. There's always one. Russell Grant is this years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then Strictly isn't what it is if they have to resort to the token lampoon to increase ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the wonderful world of show biz darling!

    ReplyDelete