Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Friday 15 July 2011

Inspiring olfaction

That's the sense of smell to you and me, and a nice simple one today. My mascara smells all wrong - its not a designer brand, just good old Boots No. 7 but it smells of rotting fish. I've never known cosmetics smell of rotting fish before - makes me wonder what's in it. It's all wrong.

And yet smell can be such a wonderful, evocative thing. Some smells are just so right and some just so wrong. They can transport you back to places and people from decades past. Here are just a few of my faves and my hates - some predictable and some less so. And you might spot a theme in the hates.


Inspiring smells
The top of a new born baby's head (thanks Bono)
Home baked bread
Newly mown grass
Freshly brewed coffee
Summer rain
BBQ wafting in from next door's garden
Tanquerey and tonic, with lime of course
Lilies
Baked dry oregano and thyme on the air when you get off a plane in Greece
Slightly rotting damp vegetation when you land in SE Asia
Mint Source shower gel
A log fire, burning apple wood


Dire smells
Teenage boys
Lynx
Dog poo on your shoe
Car park stairwells
Burning rubber
Crop spraying in the orchards
One term old sports kit festering in a bag
Wine bottles waiting to go to bottle bank
Trainers

A log fire, burning a telegraph pole (oh yes!)

6 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about the use by date on cosmetics and what would actually happen if you used them past this date. I had a YSL foundation once which I used way after the recommended date. It never had an odor and the consistency of the liquid never changed. I've always assumed the use by date was just a way for retailers to make more cash out of you. Clearly some make up does go off.

    I wonder what would happen if you used your mascara...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of burning matches, incense, leather and petrol. I dislike the smell of cigarettes and bad hygiene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smell of freshly mown grass too, lily of the valley and wet pavements after it has just rained! And a brand new book...
    The most dire smell for me is cooking goatscheese! Oh and rubbish trucks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to put the record straight my mascara is new - it's a new formulation, but it sure does stink. Come and smell my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate the whiff of 'Arrogance' For people who think they're more than they are.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the smell of a heavily limed G&T, the interior of a new car, fresh coffee in the pack.
    I hate the smell of whiskey, dirty fridges, frying.

    ReplyDelete