Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Finding the right tone of voice!

Yes I am another one of Transport Police’s criminals that has been rightfully fined and ridiculed for not having bought a £1.70 ticket!

I know that if I do not have a ticket then I should be fined. I know…that embarrassing you in front of as many people as possible will make you think twice about doing the crime again! I know…that having several Transport Police standing around you as though you are Britain’s Most Wanted will achieve the objective of making you feel ashamed and guilty. Knowing and appreciating all this I still resent the tone of voice they use. I had already held my hands up and said, “I’m sorry I didn’t get a ticket as the train was on the platform when I arrived”. However they still have to use the tone of voice that makes you feel as though you should hold your hands out in front waiting for the cuffs!

I find it funny and fascinating how we, the public, rant and rave about getting fines but we are the ones to create the situation for the fine in the first place. We don’t like to be told we have done something wrong in a public manor, a name and shame tactic if you like. But the objectives are achieved and done so effectively. The tone of voice annoys me but it’s meant to! I can say that the embarrassment and annoyance means I will not be doing that again in a hurry!

This winning combination is so effective and shows how using the right tone of voice in the right environment will find your audience and make them listen. We wouldn’t look over our shoulder when you get a parking ticket if we didn’t care who saw!

Finding the right tone of voice and the right environment is a winning combination.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha nice post but bad week for the woodies as Chief woodie got fined a whopping £20 the other day for going one extra stop. Watch out for the ABSO's woodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hands up I got caught too and felt exactly the same. I had a return ticket to Tonbridge but because my car had broken down again (thanks Audi Tonbridge!)I had to carry on one stop to Paddock Wood to be rescued. I went straight to the guy and said "I need a ticket" and he adopted exactly the tone you describe. Naughty schoolgirl....

    ReplyDelete
  3. a hoody wearing woody d'ya mean?

    ReplyDelete