Hello

hello – come in and make yourself at home

The Woodies have a blog. It’s a kind of collective. Not sure we’re about to start a revolution baby, but we might kindle a small debate or two and perhaps raise a smile. Anyway, rather than just blogging corporate Woodreed by fielding our top Woodie (as so many other companies seem to do in a thinly veiled attempt at impressing with their profundity), we wanted all our individual voices to be heard. An agency’s most valuable assets are its people after all. Everyone’s got something to say here and with us everyone’s ideas and opinions matter.

Each week someone different will be blogging. It's mostly about stuff that rocks our world as well as the flipside – the things that just don't cut it with us. We'll blog about inside and outside – inside this glorious industry where we work and outside in the real world.
It's a bit of an experiment, so go with us on this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Thursday 31 March 2011

My naive dabble at Scrabble (on line)


I love Scrabble. I have loved it from my distant student days right up until I moved in with my partner 25 years ago, who hates it. My original Scrabble box paints a very lonely and dusty sight at the bottom of our least accessible drawers.
So how refreshing it was when my 23 year old daughter mentioned that you can now play Scrabble on line, in fact even using my iPhone. I felt a "new era" moment come on.
She even offered me a game there and then, and in no time at all we were playing on line. Everything was going my way to begin with, with my experience making the difference, as I was winning quite easily. In fact I was feeling a little guilty.
However, words like "Qi", "Seabutt", "Jas" started appearing in her vocabulary and in no time at all she was getting humungous scores of 40 plus. However much as I objected, her answer was to remind me that the (on line) game allowed it so therefore it permissible. Now I was losing virtually every game.
I mentioned this outcome to a friend of mine at the weekend and his precise words to me were "Are you completely stupid?"
He then informed that there is an abundance of websites available where you literally put all your letters in and it will automatically configure every word that can be made out of them (Scrabble legal or not!).
Whether or not my daughter has used this to her advantage or not, it still reminds me how on line games are easy enough to be taken advantage of.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Isn't Scrabble supposed to test your vocabulary that exists in the english dictionary? Stick to the board game...

    ReplyDelete